"Types of Water"
Did you know there are three categories of water when it comes to water damage? These types of contaminated water typically differ depending on the source/cause of the water damage.
The three types of contaminated water:
Category 1: "Clean Water"
This is water from a clean source, such as a broken clean water supply line or faucet. If left untreated, category 1 water can quickly degrade into category 2 or 3 water depending upon such factors as time, temperature, and contact with contaminants.
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: "Gray Water"
This water has a significant level of contamination that could cause discomfort or illness if ingested. Sources for category 2 water may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- May contain bacteria and viruses
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated
Category 3: "Black Water"
This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality. Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your home or business.
If your HVAC has been operating for some time without attention, it could be circulating one or more of the following:
- Dirt and debris
- Other contaminants
SERVPRO of Centre City / Uptown Professionals routinely inspect the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can in turn save you money and give you cleaner air to breathe.
However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. We will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your system.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning, call us today, (619) 583-2133.
If you believe you may have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting. You may even be able to follow the smell to the source.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Centre City / Uptown for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold in homes can pose serious health risks. To prevent cross contamination of your home, it is best to have a professional company such as SERVPRO to perform the remediation.
Call our office today at 619-583-2133 if you believe you may need mold remediation.
Lilac Fire Update
Current Lilac Fire Shelters taken from SDICRed Cross twitter as of 12/8 9:13AM
(taken from http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/1928)
Lilac Fire Incident Information
Last Updated: December 08, 2017 9:20 am
Date/Time Started: December 07, 2017 11:15 am
Administrative Unit: CAL FIRE San Diego Unit
County: San Diego County
Location: Old Hwy 395 at Dulin Road, Bonsall
Acres Burned - Containment: 4,100 acres - 0% acres
Structures Destroyed: 65
Injuries: 2 firefighters, 4 civilian
Firefighters continue to make progress and assess damages.
- area of W. Lilac Rd. & Sullivan Middle School.
- South of Burma Rd.
- East of Wilshire
- North of N. River Rd.
- West of S. Mission Ave.
- South of Renche Rd.
- West of I-15 Freeway
- East of Green Canyon Rd. & S. Mission Rd.
- North of Hwy 76
Evacuation Warnings are in effect:
- North of Pala Rd.
- South of Reche Rd.
- West of I-15 Freeway
- East of Green Canyon Rd.
- W. Mission Rd.
Visit SDIC Red Cross for the most current information on Evacuation Shelters.
Small-pet friendly shelters have been opened at:
- Palomar College at 1140
- W. Mission Road in San Marcos
- Bostonia Rec Center at 1049 Bostonia St. in El Cajon
- East Valley Community Center at 2245 E. Valley Parkway in Escondido.
- Large animals and livestock can be taken to the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
- Old Hwy 395 between W. Lilac Rd.
- Hwy 76 in both directions
Visit http://www.calfire.ca.gov/general/firemaps for current active fires
Watch http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/1928 for updates on the Lilac fire, or follow CALFIRESANDIEGO on twitter.
Follow SDICRed Cross on twitter for current information on evacuation centers.
If you're able, take a current photo inventory of your home. Make sure you get a picture of every wall in every room of your home. Open cupboards and pantry doors, drawers, and don’t forget the garage.
NWS San Diego
San Diego county has been issued both fire weather and high wind warnings by the National Weather Service San Diego.
Stay safe this week during these critical fire conditions, and make sure to follow the NWS San Diego on social media or visit http://www.weather.gov/sgx/ for latest updates.
If you experience fire damage, call us today at (619)583-2133 to begin fire damage repair and restoration.
For more information on our fire damage restoration services, please visit http://www.SERVPROcentrecityuptown.com/fire-smoke-damage-restoration
SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown - Commercial Property Losses
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events in commercial properties in San Diego are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown
SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Call us at 619 583 2133.
SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown - Fire, Smoke, and Soot Damage
San Diego - Smoke and Soot Cleanup / Fire Damage.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown at 619 583 2133.
SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown - Mold Remediation
Does Your Home or Business Have A Mold Problem?
In San Diego, mold can spread through a home or business in as little as 48-72 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –
SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown at 619 583 2133.
SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown - Water Damage / Flood
SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown
24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
We provide 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in San Diego.
We are available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today – 619 583 2133
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
SERVPRO of Centre City Uptown specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.